So, I've been a slacker on posting. Any spare time we've had has been on the couch watching the Olympics. Probably another reason I'm tired every day. We stay up watching these events and look at the clock and think "oh crap! it's 11:00 already". Ah well. It only comes around every 4 years.
In the absence of photos, I thought I'd share a funny story. (Yes, mom, it is funny.) So, one day earlier this summer we were at the neighborhood swimming pool and Cam had come out of the water for a snack. I was sitting on a lawn chair next to a couple of neighbors where Camryn joined us. As with many 2 year olds, she has developed a magnet in her finger that goes straight to her nose.
I read in one of the many parenting magazines a long time ago that there are multiple ways to handle this, but when push came to shove I needed to pick my battles. This is a habit that is gross, I'll give you that. But there are worst things she could do, like strip down in public, scream at the top of her lungs in a restaurant, throw food on the floor, rub poop on the wall, etc. No, she doesn't do these things, but prevention is key. She does have a whining problem. I'd rather focus on nipping that in the bud and worry about the nose picking later.
Back to the story and the finger in the nose...so my neighbor, Julie looked at Cam and told her that a snail was going to bite her finger off if she wasn't careful. Camryn's finger immediately came down and she stared at Julie trying to figure out if this was real. This is one of the most random things I've heard, but I jumped on that puppy. In fact she asks about the snail at least once a day. I catch her occassionally with the finger hunting around her nostrils, but tell her "you never know when the snail is going to bite. Do you want this to be the time? Be careful!"
Fast forward to this past Friday when we went shopping with mom and dad. Mom and Camryn were looking at a mannequin, and all of a sudden Camryn tells me the lady is missing a finger. I didn't think anything of it until the next morning when that was the first thing she mentioned when she woke up. She was concerned about this poor, faceless, woman without her index finger. I had an "ah-ha!" moment on Saturday morning. "Cam, you know why her finger is missing, don't you?" She didn't, but had been searching for a logical answer. "She was picking her nose and the snail got her." And that was it. That's all I heard this past weekend. "Mommy, that lady!" or "Snail bite lady finger off?" This morning she placed her finger right next to her nose and looked at me with a goofy smirk. It didn't go in her nose, so I know what she was thinking. I just wander what she tells the other kids at school. If her teacher hears it, she might blow my cover. Maybe I'll clue her in too. :)
That's all for now.
For anyone keeping track, here is a potty training update, nearly 2 months in: Camryn is back in pull ups (sorry Dr. Polito!) because she hasn't learned to tell us when she needs to go. It seems to bother her that she can't wear her big girl panties, so hoping that will be her something to work toward. Stay tuned...
1 comment:
I just hope the child is not traumatized by every mannequin (SP?) that she sees from now on. Needless to say, she will never taste a snail!!
Post a Comment