Monday, February 18, 2008

Compliments can make your day!

Well, let me share one I got today. It was given with the truest of intentions, I believe, but I've laughed about it all day.

I was at Bath & Body Works paying for some lotion and the gal helping me with the transaction said: "I know this will sound kind of weird, but you are really beautiful."

Whoa! Gotta admit, hearing that from a complete stranger kind of makes you stand up taller and grin. I greeted that compliment with a big thank you. She should have left it at that, but then proceeded to say, "Don't worry. The right guy will come along some day."

What!?! Did I have a look on my face like I was desparate for the right guy to come along and that I hoped, deep down by purchasing this lotion, and applying it daily, that the good smell would attract the right guy? How odd of statement to hear and then I realized I didn't have my wedding band on. OK, she thinks I'm single. Makes a little more sense, but who says that to a complete stranger? I politely laughed and then showed her my nasty, crusty finger where my band normally is. It's just all dried up from the cold air and washing my hands throughout the day. Happens every winter. If she was quick enough she would have tried to sell me some sort of product to heal it right up, but I think she was a bit embarrassed at what she had just said. By then, I had already spun around grinning at the interaction and thanked her again for the compliment.

Note to self to begin complimenting people more. I forget how nice it is to hear one from a complete stranger.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Compliments are nice...except we should leave out personal assumptions for sure. That is like "oh, you are pregnant...oh no, sorry." That makes me laugh so loud that she said that to you. That takes a bit of nerve to say. Hehe. Well, just so you know, I think that you are beautiful too!