Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It might be a while...

...before I can blog with pictures. Our computer has fallen victim to one of those nasty viruses and well, it locks up as soon as we turn it on. We saw it coming. Literally. The screen removed Camryn's pretty picture and actually put the text up on the screen. "WARNING! Your computer is at serious risk." That could have been the virus talking for all we know. And maybe it was in retrospect. Craig downloaded and ran some major anti-spyware that we paid $50 for! And apparently the virus ate that because the computer told us on Friday that we needed anti-spyware and what we downloaded was no where to be found.

Thank goodness I took time on Friday night to back up a year's worth of pictures, while the computer was still cooperating. Hopefully those files aren't corrupted if I ever need to access them. I wonder if I can have those files scanned by someplace before I would use them on another computer. I'm afraid I couldn't get all of our videos, as the file sizes were just too large to burn on CD. Anyway, I won't be putting any more pictures onto that computer, so I can't get them onto the blog for you all to see.

Yes, I'm in mourning. I'm so dependent on that machine. Each night I check my email. And each morning I check the weather forecast. Just knowing that I can't access information on the internet makes me want to access everything even more. It's kind of like when it snows really bad and the roads are bad, basically trapping me inside. I just want to prove that snow isn't going to change my day. I'm weird I guess.

But I'm ready to trash the thing and move on to a new machine. Craig doesn't appear to be, but he doesn't seem to be offering other options. I don't know. Maybe one of those Geek Squad services in Best Buy can look at it. The downside there is we'd have to deal with Vista on a new machine, and I've heard really bad things about that. Mac maybe? Craig would never go for it.

I need my computer!!!

2 comments:

Liz said...

We have Vista, and dont have problems with it. Sorry about your computer though, that stinks. We need to back up our pics too, I would be devistated to loose all those pics of Charlotte!

Unknown said...

Jamie,
Just get a Mac. Trust me...you'll be happy you did. They run seamlessly with windows programs and are super reliable. I work on Vista at school and they can be tempermental (well-so can I!)

Good luck,
Christy