Friday, May 23, 2008

Why not?

When Camryn hit about 25 months (probably also not a coincidence that her tonsils were out and she is getting much better sleep) her learning curve really spiked. She could identify a square, triangle, rectangle, circle, heart and star. Additionally she could accurately point out her colors (pink, purple, orange, blue, red, green, yellow "lello", white & black). And never did I think 2 year olds could count past 2 or 3. In the last two weeks she can count up to 10! Yep, I'm bragging. I think it's so much fun to watch & help her learn.

But this morning, we were trying to get going to make it to school in time to have breakfast. She was piddling and wanted something out of her reach and I told her she couldn't have it. I was in the other room and heard a little "why not?" Oh boy! I guess this is the beginning of the "why" & "why not" stage. Sure, she's just trying to expand her knowledge, but this could be a really annoying time for us or we could get creative with the truth. Hee, hee. For example:

No, Camryn, you can't have another cookie.
Why not?
Because one more cookie today will be just be so much sugar, your teeth will fall out. You have to wait until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Grandma Karen said...

Shame on you for even thinking about fibbing to that sweet little genius! Of course, I was thinking how confusing it would be to ask her, "Well, why should you get another cookie?" I am guessing that she would have some kind of response, though.
Loving these little stories and you guys' responses to them.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking back to the time where I had trouble telling Craig there was a Santa Claus because it would be a "lie." Carl almost had a heart attack and said, "What are you thinking? That was one of the best parts of my childhood"--paraphased, but that was his meaning. So Santa did come to our house. Good luck with this one. I usually tried to reply with "because that it how it has to be this time." Worked sometimes--

Bailey Mohr said...

It is going to be so hard not giving really sarcastic answers to Arie Alex when she gets to that stage.
When she asks me why she can't have another cookie, the first response that comes to mind is,
"There is a childhood obesity problem in America, and do you know how much corn syrup there is in that cookie? Oh yeah, and the sugar will make your teeth fall out of your head." :)
Oh I'm such a smart ass. My kids are going to hate me.