Yesterday I'm reading the stack of books that have become part of our bedtime routine. One in particular "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" has a page on it where a big fish is hitting a smaller fish. Camryn always wants to stop on this page and tell me "no hit" and "hurt fishy". I tell her he's a bad fishy and we don't hit, we hug. (At least at this point in her life, that rule works.) Anyway, last night we had gone past the page and she wanted to back up. She said "fishy time out".

***Let's pause there. This was a new one to me. Craig and I haven't started time outs with Camryn. She's never been a bad kid. Tantrums here and there, but that's just being a toddler. (But, now that I know she knows what they are, I'll have to keep that in mind. Hee, hee!)***
Here's how the rest of the conversation went:
"Camryn, why is the fishy getting a timeout?"
She said "bad fishy."
Then she busts out "Cam time out".
"Camryn had a time out?
"Yeah."
"How come?"
"Hit Jaxon." (a little boy in her classroom)
"You hit Jaxon?"
"Sit corner."
"You sat in the corner because you hit Jaxon?"
"Yeah."
"Are you going to hit him again."
"No."
"It's not good to hit anyone."
"Yeah."
That was it. We carried on with the rest of the book. Not a word more. Bless her stinkin' heart. She confessed something bad she did that I would have not known otherwise. I don't know why the thought was triggered in her mind at that moment. We read that book every night. Anyway, thought it was cute.
---------------------------------------------
On another note, I thought I'd share some recent "Cam-isms".
(NOTE: This is where I capture stuff for my scrapbook, so indulge me in just these quick notes to myself.)
- When we were in the hospital last week, this really shined through, but noticed one of her comfort methods is one binky in her mouth while she touches another binky to her nose. She's never had to have a single thing with her at bed time except her binkies. Now I know why. Wonder when we'll be able to break her of that habit.
I wish I could capture this one in writing, but not sure how. Lately she's been gasping and looking at me with a smile on her face when she sees something she likes, or finds something. It's like this pure expression of surprise and excitement. It's so darn cute.
We were in the toy aisle at Target the other day shopping for a birthday gift. We'd walk down any aisle and she'd grab something off the shelf saying "need that." Mmmm, no I don't think you "need that" Camryn.
3 comments:
Don't know if you know this or not, but this is one of the first books that Jon learned to "read." Funny that it would be the first to spur Cam to confession!!
Poor little thing--she must have done some deep thinking about hitting Jaxon. I know that children often wonder how their moms can possibly know so much, but now as a mother, you understand that much of that knowledge comes about from sheer dumb luck.
Haha! I love it. It was like she was holding it in, and it just burst out. "ok, you got me mom, I did have a time out for hitting, but I am not going to do it again!" I love that she already "needs" things at the store. I wonder where she got that :)
Ma Ma C said
I just ggot the blog saved and have been catching up. I remember when you sent this site too--just don't know what I did with it.
Geeze How cute is this confession! Great communication going on there Jay since she feels comfortable telling you about her private moments. That is so important when you are trying to raise kids.
Post a Comment