Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ode to Pinky

Pinky is Camryn's dolly that we gave her for her birthday. We're hoping Pinky is the one that will finally replace the Windex bottle. (That quirk is one of those things we'll have to share with Camryn when she gets older.)

Just this morning, after Camryn was ready for school we woke Pinky up, let her go pee-pee on "the pot" (thanks MaMa Collins), then washed her hands with soap and dried them. Only pretend washing though. Then, we walked out into the hallway to go downstairs, but apparently Pinky told Camryn she needed to go "pee-pee again" so we did the whole thing over again. Then we needed to take Pinky downstairs and give her medicine; (because she was sick, you know) and laid her on the couch on the princess heart pillow with a blanket on while Camryn administered the pretend medicine from one of the many syringes we have from antibiotic prescriptions this winter. She was feeling better already. So then it was time to go to school. Pinky got up and rode in the car with us. Cam finally parted with Pinky only after she AND I gave her a hug and kiss goodbye and wished her a good day.

I don't think the Windex bottle ever got this kind of treatment. It's a good thing I don't have a job anymore where I HAVE to be there at a certain time.

Here Pinky is having a nice pretend meal of sprinkles, ground coffee and sunflower seeds. Oh, and it's out of the spare cat food dish. I tell you, their imaginations are just amazing. She understands the word pretend (Camryn, not Pinky) and has no problem with the concept. At least for now.



So I thought I'd write a little poem for Pinky since she's become part of my responsibility in the morning.

Ode to Pinky
Oh, Pinky, we're glad you're here.
Each day you give Camryn a listening ear.
But your competition, the Windex bottle, has quite a grip on Camryn's attention
That bottle has been put to bed almost too many times to mention

You sit there so quietly. You never pout.
Maybe because your maker only gave you two eyes and no mouth.
You've been to the hospital with Camryn and ridden in the car
A loyal companion you've been to her so far.

You let her hug and kiss you and put you to bed
With a wash cloth as your blanket and a princess pillow for your head
We know you're a more than suitable replacement
Please keep working your magic before you are put in a box in the basement.

The End

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love the poem. Haha. You are so clever. Poor pinky, you probably scared the life out of her by telling her she is going to the basement. No pressure, pinky. Perform, or else! Good thing she doesnt have a mouth to defend herself. She looks sassy to me :)

Anonymous said...

What a fortunate little doll Pinky is--all of that love and care from you and Cam, and now her own poem. Plus, how many dolls can take on a Windex bottle and come out on top?
Grandma Karen

Grandma Karen said...

I figured out how to respond with a comment as someone other than anonymous, if you want to remove that choice from your blog. I actually exist as a real person now!!
Mom

ElHawari Updates said...

Crack me up! You have to save some of your wit for the next baby and it's toys! Better yet, write a book with your free time...haha Cam will laugh out loud when she is old enough to enjoy all of your talents.