We checked in and they took us to a hospital room that was our "home base" until we were moved to the pediatric ward post surgery. The doctor was running about an hour behind. He had something like 14 scheduled surgeries yesterday. So we had to kill some time. Camryn wasn't supposed to have anything to eat or drink and Craig and I were so hungry & so thirsty. We didn't want to eat in front of her. Bless her heart. She didn't even ask one time for breakfast and about 30 minutes before surgery she finally asked for water.



About 20 minutes before her surgery, the nurse came in with a "cocktail." It was supposed to make her a little drowsy, only Camryn got slap happy. It was really funny for us to watch her crack herself up at little things. Those docs know what they're doing though because the cocktail made them taking her away a lot easier. By the time they carried her off, she was clueless.

Seeing her in recovery was tough for me. The nurses didn't prep me for what to expect. I knew she wouldn't be her normal self immediately, but she was crying so hard because she was disoriented. I lost it. It was tough on Craig too, but since he held it together, I asked him to hold her first. By the time I had her, she was calming down and recognized me enough to acknowledge my request for an eskimo kiss. I got two. :)
When the gas wore off, they took us up to the pediatric ward since she was supposed to stay the night. As a hospital normally does, it all looked so sterile. The metal bars on her crib were not comforting (to me at least). A gal came in with a wagon of toys and let Camryn pick one out. Out of books, teddy bears & puzzles, she chose the least age appropriate item.

Might be because it was in a shiny box right on top of the pile. I had a feeling that would be her selection. Does she want anything to do with it since we got home? No. (Doesn't even want to put her to bed with the other dollies.) Maybe it reminds her of the hospital.

She was so cute in her little scrubs. She didn't really mess with her IV at all most of the time. She noticed it and whined a bit, but never touched it until the nurse was changing her bandage and almost ripped it right out.
Cam refused to take a nap; although she was eating jello faster than the nurse could bring in more. We were psyched when the doc came in and said she looked great and if we wanted to take her home, we could. Heck yes! I wasn't looking forward to the not so comfy chair becoming my bed; and I knew she would sleep better at home too. What a difference that made! She even ate a bowl of oatmeal ("oats") and another cup of jello before she went to bed.
2 comments:
Little Cam certainly was a trooper, but her mommy and daddy were, too! Wonder who this ordeal was harder on?
Cam is so smart; just think what getting a full breath of oxygen will do for her! Better watch out!
Mama Karen
Oh my goodness, that last pic is so sad :( I am glad she is doing well, and was such a trooper! We love you guys.
Post a Comment