Saturday, March 21, 2009

Random things about Camryn now that she is 3.

Her vocabulary is outstanding. She still struggles with the pronunciation on things here and there. Here are some of our favorite words she doesn't get quite right:
girl = girr
excuse me = cuse me
ok = ho - kay!
spins = pins
not yet = not et
school = cool
strawberry = strawbiddy

She doesn't forget anything. I mean anything. Craig and I have to work to stay one step ahead of her. If we slip, she catches us. No question. She loves to wear skirts and twirl (or "pin") around. She's actually a pretty good dancer when she busts out her moves.

She learned the days of the week by a song her teacher taught her. Each kid was asked to stand up in class and sing the song ("There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in the week. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday!") by themselves. It's to the tune of "Oh my darlin', oh my darlin, oh my darlin Clementine, you are..."). Pretty cute.

Speaking of singing, she LOVES to sing her ABCs. She's known them for a while now, but has taken a recent interest in singing them fast and then slow and high pitched and low pitched. After she goes to bed Craig and I will hear her singing her ABCs and then she'll eventually drop off at one letter and we figure she's out.

She can recognize all of the letters when written, but hasn't learned all of the lower case letters yet. Those throw her off a bit unless they look similar (like a big P and a small p). When she see something spelled in all capital letters she will say each letter and ask me what it spells. She can spell her first name if asked, and can spell most of the kids names in her classroom. She can draw an O and a pretty good C, but the C is sometimes backwards. She likes to try to draw letters.

She counts pretty well. She can count to 13 with no problem, but then jumps to 15 and 17 and doesn't know where to go next.

Cam's a GREAT at stalling at bedtime. I swear a 30 minute process takes 60 minutes way more often than it should. Each morning we have a routine before school. After we get dressed we pick out ribbons or barrettes for Cam's hair, but then she picks out two barrettes for me. I fix her hair and then she fixes my hair. Only sometimes I forget to sneak them out of my hair before we walk into daycare or even to work. She notices everything, so I'm afraid to take them out too early. I don't want to hurt her feelings.

The other day at daycare we brought her toy unicorn with us so she could sleep with it at school. Only we left it in the car (accidentally) and I didn't notice until 5 minutes before I got to work. Her teacher made sure the next day we had that unicorn in hand as we walked in. She said she almost called me because Camryn got so upset, almost to the point of making herself sick, because her unicorn wasn't in her cubby at school. DRAMA! It took them forever to calm her down. I guess the teacher went around and recruited stuffed animals from other teachers, but Cam just looked at them and cried "These aren't my unicorn!" I felt terrible. Needless to say, we triple check we have an animal now. She told me the next day that she didn't need an animal because she left her baby bird at school and she would sleep with that. Her baby bird is an imaginary bird that apparently fits in the palm of her hands. I suggested maybe we better take an animal anyway. I didn't dare show up and tell the teacher she has an imaginary animal.

Besides the imaginary bird which is brand new, she has an imaginary dog that she talks about named Taylor. Only she doesn't live with us. She's pink. Last week they happened to have dog week at school and were asked to bring in a stuffed dog on that Friday. I was looking through her stuffed animals and came across a pink dog that Mom had given her for Valentine's Day one year. She was so excited that I found Taylor! She's such a little mommy.

She takes such good care of her dollies and makes sure they get equal time with her going to school. "Are you taking Pinky today Camryn?" I'll ask. "No mommy, she went yesterday. I'm going to take Emmy today."

Her favorite movie is Madagascar, and she enjoys Finding Nemo as well.

Her favorite cartoon is Little Einsteins. Which, I guess it could be worse. At least here she hears classical music and learns about popular works of art. (Aunt Linda should be so proud.) If there's chocolate in the house she's pretty good at finding it and sneaking a piece or two.

When we sit down for dinner, and Craig or I have cooked, she always stops and tells us "you did great Mommy!" Craig is trying to teach her the word stupendous. It's in one of her Fancy Nancy books as a fancy word for great. She's not caught on yet, but will, I'm certain.

And one of my favorite things she does when I pick her up to give her a hug, she tells me "mommy, you're a girl and I'm a girl. Us girls need to stick together. Not Daddy. He's a boy. He and Jake are boys. They stick together. Josie is a girl. Josie and you and me stick together. Who else are girls mommy?" And then she will rattle off the names of all of her female relatives. I love that.

3 comments:

Liz said...

She did bust out stupendous to me this weekend. It was hilarious. What a great list of your favorite cam things. Its nice to go over some of the positives sometimes isnt it :)

Grandma Karen said...

Good idea to get all of this on paper--well, on screen--before it slips away, Sis. Time just speeds right past us.
Frankly, I would like to see you in those hair bows!

Anonymous said...

Took off today--MIZZOU was exhausting last night--ha! Anyway clicked the cite to see what was up with the fam and thoroughly enjoyed reading up on our sweethearts. Last week Carl said, "Cams is my little sugar muffin!" Cams said--"PaPa I'm not a sugar miffin I am a girr!" We have laughed and laughed about that. Love you all!